Followers

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Stand Up

I arrived in Phnom Penh today. My first impression was not good. Before I even got off the bus I had a swarm of tuk tuk drivers staring at me like a vulture stares at its prey. When I disembarked, I was overwhelmed by the number of men shouting at me and shoving signs in my face and trying to grab my bag. One ran up and touched my arm, yelling, "Lady, lady come with me!" A police officer hit him with a stick.

No one had come to pick me up and take me to my hostel, as promised. I told myself not to panic. I would just sit down and figure out what to do, all I needed was a few minutes to get my shit together. But they gathered around me, repeatedly shouting.

"Go away!" I yelled, "Just fuck off!" They laughed and mimicked me.

I was drowning in a swarm of leering men. I didn't have one dollar on me after paying my bill at the hostel in Siem Reap.

Holy mother of God, I thought. What the fuck am I going to do?

Then I heard a female voice behind me. I knew she was Filipino. The slight American accent. "You need help, miss?"

I looked at her and nodded.

"My friend is here. He is tuk tuk driver. We take you where you need to go. Come with me."

And I trusted her because she had a wide, honest face, and she didn't try and grab my bag.

"My name is Linny. I work with a humanitarian organisation here in Phnom Penh."

"Thankyou for helping me, I really appreciate it."

"No problem! No problem at all!"

She told me that her organisation worked with Khymer Rouge soldiers who had become social outcasts after the fall of Pol Pot.

I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for Linny. Actually I do. I would have stood up, told anyone in my way to get the fuck out of it, and made my way to hostel.

The Prodigy - Stand Up

No comments: